Bostelman Engineering (BE) has extensive experience related to safety analyses design basis calculations, and licensing evaluations. We have experience performing 10 CFR 50.59 screenings, evaluations for configuration changes. We have been qualified to various utility programs for preparation of design basis and license changes.
Our team has submitted successful technical specification amendments to the USNRC for projects such as power uprates, fuel cycle changes, core performance, spent fuel storage, accident methodology assessments and emergency planning impacts. We have supported utilities in interfacing with the USNRC for design basis methodology changes such as moving from TID to Alternative Source Term applications. Our team also has recent experience performing design basis reconstitution for a utility in areas of safety analyses, reactor and fuels.
Our team has over 35 years experience each in plant operations/configuration control and corrective action program support related to design basis. Our team also was in charge of assembling NSSS technical specification amendments analytical submittal for a PWR. We have worked directly in utility fuel cycle safety analyses groups and performed transient, thermal hydraulic, and fuel design physics assessments. Our experience includes reviewing GOTHIC containment pressure analyses, ECCS performance, RELAP code cases. Our physics experience includes utilizing CASMO/SIMULATE computer codes for PWR and BWR core and fuel assessments. Regarding safety analyses linked to fuel storage or dose calculations we utilize the computer codes MCNP*, SCALE* 6.1/6.2.
In regards to licensing support we have assisted utilities with USNRC interfaces, i.e. audits, one on one NRR meetings, requests for additional information and generic safety issues. We work with utilities to implement technical specification changes upon NRC approval, i.e. such as NFPA 805. Our team also has extensive utility experience with Corrective Action Programs, and closeout of issues related to such.
Areas of Focus
- Design Basis Reconstitution
- License Technical Specification Amendments
- 10 CFR 50.59 Screening and Evaluations
- 10 CFR 72 Screening and Evaluations
- GSI 191 containment sump (1996 to present)
- Power Uprates
- NFPA 805 implementation
- Cycle Extensions
- Anticipated Operational Occurrences
- USAR Chapter 14/15 events
- USAR Fuels, Reactor and Waste updates
- Review of Containment Pressure Analyses
- Each BE person has at one time held 10 CFR 50.59 qualifications for various utilities
- Each BE person has at one time held design basis configuration change qualifications for various utilities
- Several BE personnel worked at least more than five years in Core Design and Safety Analyses group, i.e. Reactor Performance, Core Physics
- BE personnel worked as shift technical advisor, and reactor engineer
- Several BE personnel worked in system, design and project engineering supporting large scale plant changes
- Former supervisor reactor performance group
- Former manager emergency planning and radiation protection
- MCNP-Los Alamos National Laboratories Certified
- NRG Marketing Agent ROSA and SOSA Fuel Design and Fuel Shuffling Optimization
- EPA-TOXIC (Toxic Gas /Dispersion Code)
- EXTRAN/HABIT NRC chemical modeling dispersion code
- RELAP5 Mod3
- MELCOR v rd4b: Severe accident phenomenological computer modeling for Sandia National Labs
- Westinghouse Fuel Rod Design Training
- SCALE 6.1/6.2
- ORIGEN-S (Radioactive Isotope Code-ORNL)
- Studsvik of America CMS
- XIMAGE (Nuclear Physics Safety Analyses Codes)
- Yankee Atomic Engineering Corporation ASAS (Axial Shape Analysis)
- ABB/Combustion Engineering-CESEC
- TORC and Advanced TORC
- CESTAR (Thermal-Hydraulic Transient Plant Analyzer, Setpoints Codes)
- Numerical Applications-GOTHIC (Containment Analysis Code), various EPRI codes related to RV Embrittlement, Fuel Degradation.
- HLOSS 1.1 (Innovative Technology Solutions)
- PIPES 2.0 (Innovative Technology Solutions)
- LOCADM (Westinghouse) Fuel Blockage Code
- BLOCKAGE (Science and Engineering Associates)
- FLOW3D 9.0 (3Dimensional Computational Fluid Dynamics)
- RADTRAD v. 3.03 and 3.10 (Radionuclide Transport and Dose Estimation)
- MICROSHIELD v. 8.0
- 9.05MicroSkyshineORIGEN-ARP (Oak Ridge National Labs)
- AXIDENTEQ3/6 (Geochemical Aqueous Speciation-Solubility Calculations-Lawrence Livermore National Labs) Groundwater Modeling
- OLI Stream Analyzer Chemical Speciation modeling
Previous Relevant Projects
Project: Reactor Safety
- Tasks Completed:
- Contributed to the analysis of 18 BWR replacement ECCS suction strainers, worked on various PWR containment walkdowns to identify potential sources of LOCA generated debris, contributed to the detailed assessments for 22 PWRs in the US, Japan, China and South Korea
Project: Radiological Consequences
- Clients: Five Utilities
- Tasks Completed:
- Complete Safety Related Calculations (7 calcs) and AST Implementation
- Complete review and implementation of AST for a station
- Independent review of another station AST calculations
- Preparation of Safety Related FHA analysis for a station
- Preparation of Fire Radiological Assessments NFPA 805 for two stations
- Qualitative Review of Fire Radiological Assessments NFPA 805 for a station
- Complete preparation of Safety related calculations for a station NFPA 805 radiological dose assessments
- Preparation and Review of safety related EQ source terms, and shine calculations for a station
- Prepared Safety related Beta Dose calculation for containment penetration materials and components inside containment
- RADTRAD code trainer from 1997 to present (yearly training sessions for International and US clients)
- Complete Update of safety related Equipment Qualification Calculations (20) utilizing MicroShield computer code.
- EAL update Radiological for NEI Rev. 6 Emergency Response.
- ORIGEN/MCNP modeling for HELB releases related to EQ radiation dose
Project: Main Control Room Habitability
- Clients: Four Utilities
- Tasks Completed:
- Chemical hazardous assessments and modeling for several nuclear power stations in regards to control room habitability
Project: Extended Power Uprates
- Clients: Commercial Nuclear Unit**
- Tasks Completed:
- Long term assignment performing NSSS Extended Power Uprate work for a station including review of NSSS vendor PRA analyses and basedecks, review and implementation of S‐RELAP5 basedecks for the configuration for various transients and design basis accidents.
Project: Nuclear Fuel Design / Thermal-Hydraulics / Transients
- Tasks Completed:
- Performed core reload design for a utility for over 6 years and gained valuable insight for fuel performance, source term and plant safety analyses, called upon to audit fuel fabrication facilities as part of her duties in fuel design.
- Qualified to perform and implement numerous 10 CFR 50.59 screenings and assessments
- Proficient in leak before break methodology and fracture mechanics associated with such, and implemented such at a utility.
Project: Reactor Performance Group Supervisor
- Supervisor of the Reactor Performance Group (14 years total as utility employee).
- Completed nuclear thermal-hydraulic, transient, fuel rod performance, reactor setpoints, radiological consequences and other reactor related analyses (all Chapter 14 USAR analyses).
- Assisted in all TH, Transient, Physics calculations that were performed in-house for reactor design and operation (utilizing Studsvik, ABB/CE and Numerical Applications codes).
- Program owner of nuclear fuel reliability, responsible for trending/evaluating fuel failures and performing failure analyses.
- Conducted audits of fuel fabricator processes/facilities and programs.
- Wrote/reviewed contracts related to fuel fabrication and fuel storage issues requiring board of director’s approvals.
- Supported extensive contact with Nuclear Regulatory Commission to present, discuss, analyze and defend facility-licensing submittals.
- Completed with NRC approval, submittals for expanding nuclear fuel storage capacity onsite, justification for removal of toxic gas monitors, increasing enrichment on nuclear fuel loading, leak before break methodology, and assisted with 5 year operating license extension submittal.
*Denotes National Laboratory codes
**Further details can be provided by contacting us