Jan Bostelman, P. E. has over 35 years’ experience in the area of materials testing, and evaluations. She holds a degree in chemical engineering with minor in chemistry. She then completed graduate work in metallurgical engineering with emphasis on corrosion and materials testing.
She has worked with various laboratory settings to conduct materials testing, i.e. universities, commercial and fuel vendor laboratories. She has developed extensive material testing plans for nuclear related evaluations and performed such under quality assurance controls and requirements.
Her background has allowed her to work both in “hot” and regular laboratory settings. She works side by side with chemists, technicians and engineers to perform detailed materials testing to meet clients need. She has completed thousands of examinations for utility clients related to coatings materials, insulations, material identifications and failures analyses. She worked with the USNRC and industry to develop material testing plans for containment coatings in the US. She is also a Licensed Professional Metallurgical Engineer in Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri.
She formerly was on the Electric Power Research Institute Advisory Board for Chemistry, and High-Level Waste Storage which covered materials research and testing. She also evaluates post LOCA conditions and impact on materials that are installed in containment for operations, and equipment qualifications.
Areas of Focus
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- X-ray Diffraction (XRD)
- Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS)
- Hardness and Microhardness Testing
- ICP mass spectroscopy
- Preparation of material testing plans
- Optical Microscopy, and Statistical Analyses
- Corrosion Monitoring
- Chemical and Flume Laboratory setups
- Metallurgical cross section measurements
- Charpy Impact testing
- Licensed Professional Engineer Metallurgical Engineering, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri
- BS Chemical Engineering, minor Chemistry, Graduate Metallurgical Engineering
- Certified to perform SEM, XRD, EDS at two universities
- Lecturer University of Nebraska Failures Analysis, Corrosion Testing, and Materials Testing
- DOE Technical Expert Yucca Mountain Project and DOE Corrosion Expert Panel
Previous Relevant Projects
Project: Scanning Electron Microscopy Material Samples and Identification
Clients: 13 Utilities
Project: Chemical Testing
Clients: Six Utilities
Project: Material Evaluations
Clients: Various Utilities and Yucca Mountain Project